Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hamlet(1996)

William Shakespeare. One of the most highly regarded writers in English history was born in 1564. During his life, he wrote 38 plays which included The Tempest, Much Ado About Nothing, King Lear, Henry VIII, MacBeth, Othello and his most celebrated drama, Hamlet. Each of Shakespeare's surviving plays have been translated into every living language and performed more often than other playwright. He also wrote 154 sonnets and two long narrative poems. Some of his plays are hard to understand because of the way he wrote them. The language can be confusing and impenetrable at times, but sometimes it can be very clear. I've never had the pleasure of seeing ANY of Shakespeare's work on stage, but I have seen some film adaptations, most specifically, Hamlet. Hamlet is arguably the most famous of Shakespeare's plays, because it's one of the longest at 4 hours, and is a tragedy. Hamlet has been done on screen before, with Sir Laurence Olivier's film being the first to be taken seriously. The first Hamlet movie I saw was the version done by Mel Gibson that was released in 1990. It wasn't a bad film, Mel Gibson did a good job, but it was too short. The second version I saw was released in 2009, starring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart. At 3 and a half-hours it was quite good, bring a modern take on the tragic story. But the version that I remember most and treasure the most, is Kenneth Branagh's rendition, released back in 1996. His is the only film that has every single word of Hamlet on screen. And it his film that I will be reviewing.

Hamlet opens on a dark night when two guards patrolling the gates of the Danish castle when they encounter a ghost of the late King of Denmark. They bring the attention of this to Hamlet(Kenneth Branagh), the son of the king and nephew to the usurper, Claudius(Sir Derek Jacobi). Hamlet is visited by the ghost and learns that his father was murdered by his uncle. After hearing this, he begins plotting his revenge. The story is very simple, but that's not what makes this adaptation of Hamlet so special. Kenneth Branagh puts the whole damn thing on screen, which brings the running time to more than 4 hours, but it doesn't drag at all. What makes it work is the cast, which includes not only Branagh himself, but legendary actor Sir Derek Jacobi, Sir Richard Attenborough, Julie Christie, Billy Crystal, Rufus Sewell, Robin Williams, Charlton Heston, Jack Lemmon and Kate Winslet. While some of the choices may seem strange, the performances are wonderful, but Kenneth Branagh steals the show, not just as the director, but as the title character of Hamlet. He brings humor, intensity, and humanity to the role unlike anyone else. Sir Derek Jacobi, who once played Hamlet himself, is fantastic as Claudius. They all make the bizarre dialogue seem believable.

What also makes this film unique is the setting, which is set in the late 19th-century. The Victorian-era setting helps make it a little more accessible. It also helps that it looks like a play was being filmed, but with film-making sensibilities and style. The dialogue, while confusing at times is not mumbled, thankfully. Kenneth Branagh is also the director of the film, and he brings a unique vision to the screen, and paces it perfectly. Shakespeare's plays have always been dialogue-driven and it's no different here, but it helps the audience understand what's going on when they see the actors performing each scene. While the dialogue may be off-putting to some, it actually helps draw the audience in to see what's happening, and Branagh does it really well.

I was never really a big fan of William Shakespeare until a couple of years ago. I actually performed Hamlet's famous "To be or not to be" speech when I was in high school, and it wasn't easy to do, but it does bring something out in you in a way that I can't really describe. After that I lost interest until I saw Mel Gibson's film a few years ago. Then, I saw the version with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart. But the adaptation that really sticks with me, is Kenneth Branagh's film. It is the most beautiful and accurate adaptation of Hamlet that I've seen. Is it the most definitive? I honestly can't say, I haven't seen all the other adaptations, yet. Kenneth Branagh is one of the most talented actors and directors I have seen in years and his vision of Hamlet is his best work, as far as I'm concerned. I know there are people that will disagree with me, particularly the Shakespearean experts, but I'm only basing this review on what I know, and what I've seen. And what I've seen is an unforgettable story about revenge and the nature of humanity. Hamlet is beyond reproach and is one of the most celebrated plays in history, and for good reason. If there is one film version of Hamlet to see, it's the one directed by Kenneth Branagh. This one easily comes highly recommended. A perfect 10/10 is what this film gets from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment